Search bar

Sunday 3 February 2019

dgr Bloggies 2018-THE WINNERS

Right guys! this is it! Although we had to do this 24 hours late(due to scheduling issues) here we are without further delay. Let's get into em!



FULGORE AWARD                                                                                                             

As par for the course,  we will start off with the Fulgore Award, the high-scoring most accessible modern (Xbox 360 era and are up) game. The nominations of the Fulgore Award are:

  • Killer Instinct
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Audiosurf


the winner is Audiosurf

with infinite replayability, multiple control styles and colorblind filters in this game. Forza came close second but Audiosurf took the top spot

     SATORU IWATA MEMORIAL AWARD                                                                   


n my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.”
-Satoru Iwata(1959-2015)





Next up we have the Satoru Iwata Memorial Award. This award, as the name states, pays tribute to the former head of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata, which passed away in the year 2015. As you may have guessed, this award is for the highest scoring retro game (PS2 era and backward). I came actually lives up to the Iawata name

The nominations for the Satoru Iwata Memorial Award are:


  • Command & Conquer Red Alert
  • Project Warlock
  • Star Wars Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

The winner is...

Star Wars Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight

In my honest opinion, the Star Wars universe would be an excellent setting for a Doom clone. Seriously, guys how awesome would it be for the Doom Slayer to have a melee weapon are other than the chainsaw.


When combined with the Mysteries of the Sith Expansion this game is just as long as Project Warlock. So, this year's award was pretty much a battle of the Doom clones. But, Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight has a feature that Project Warlock doesn't – multiplayer. Through third-party software, for example, game Ranger and the like, you can challenge other players to lightsaber fueled deathmatches. Although the Jedi Academy service would be more recommended, due to compatibility issues with the Steam version.


 WOODEN SPOON AWARD                                                                                         


Right guys, time for the dgr's version of the Magaluf Walk of Shame (Google it!).

The Wooden Spoon Award ironically enough comes from the Six Nations rugby tournament. if a team fails to win the single game throughout the competition, that national team gets awarded the wooden spoon. This award is the lowest scoring, least accessible game of the year.

The nominees for the Wooden Spoon Award are as follows:


  • Sonic the Fighters
  • Half-Life
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2
The winner of the Wooden Spoon Award is.... 


Star Wars Battlefront 2


Coming in with an abysmally low 15%, after a hefty 40% deduction of the total review scores. Now, don't get me wrong this as a pretty decent Star Wars game, but EA's greedy, monopolistic and downright evil progression system. During its Beta phase, character progression was tied to loot boxes. 

I understand that I may be seeming like a broken record, I will run through, for the final time how this system works.


There are two ways to obtain these loot boxes first, you play matches to gain credits. You actually thought that the better player would gain more credits judging by the performance, right? Wrong. Regardless of how good or bad your performance was you would earn the exact same amount of credits as the worst player on the losing team! So, it has been calculated that it would take exactly 40 hours to unlock Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader. now, these two characters are synonymous with the Star Wars franchise. In my opinion, they should have been unlocked as soon as the game started.

As I've said many times before, along with FIFA ultimate team's pack system, the contents of these are chosen through a random number generator system. The way that I see it, this is exactly how a slots machine works. As the Belgian government would say, using the system harbors the risk of children getting a gambling addiction from a very early age. In my honest opinion, this is indefensible!

The reason why I have reviewed this game in the first place is that I was caught by an eagle-eyed member of the staff on my local game shop doing something completely stupid (read my review of this game for the juicy details!

ET TU BRUTE AWARD                                                                 
Every single year and the gaming industry, like all industries there are always certain companies, who has done something rather stupid to either P!$$Off their communities or simply stopping their employees in the back! This award category names and shames these companies. This year, the nominations for this award are
  • Fallout 76 – dude, where's my refund? (Bethesda)
  • Call of cut and paste Black Ops 4(Activision)
  • Command and conquer: Mobile Warfare(EA again!)
Kenzie's Wildcard– Telltale games DOA (with no severance pay!)

The winner of the Et Tu Brute for the biggest backstab of the year is

Call of cut and paste: Black ops 4
I understand that Bethesda were absolute hypocrites after campaigning to preserve single player only experiences with their #saveP1 campaign, they have decided to turn one of their profitable, and best IPs (intellectual properties) into an Elder Scrolls: Online ripoff, I'm not giving consumers refunds when the requested it, breaching the Consumer Rights Act.

But it's Activision that I believe, was the lowest of the low

killing off the single-player campaign, which the franchise is famous of, and is embedded in the basic DNA of all video games and favor of a Battle Royale mode, which is very congested as it is with games like Fortnite, PUBG and H1Z1 is probably the scam of the century, let alone year.

And, to rub sh!t to a dog's nose, players had to pay $1 just add a dot to your crosshairs, which is without a shadow of a doubt, the most stupid way to milk your customers for what they're worth. Need I say more?



Now, to finish off the ceremony, here's our Ones to Watch:

SpartanCommander's:
Total War: Three Kingdoms

After the abysmal failure that was Thrones of Britannia, it seemed as though Creative Assembly has indeed turned over a new leaf.

The Three Kingdoms era of China, previously depicted in the Dynasty Warriors series as the past effect historical standpoint for a Total War game. When I find out about this game I was really excited! Firstly, I am completely mad when it comes to strategy games. One final thing, I have the pleasure of confirming to you guys that I have pre-ordered this game on steam I will most likely will be reviewing it on its first week of release!


Kenzie's:
Kingdom Hearts 3

The Kingdom Hearts Series has been one of Square Enix's most popular and profitable franchises of the JRPG(Japanese role-playing game) sub-genre.

Although the game is already released, I think I shall wait until I built-up enough money to my Microsoft account before revisiting Sora's epic saga. But fear not my loyal readers, you guys will be notified via the blog's Facebook page when this game has been purchased, I will most likely be reviewing this game within a week. Earlier on today, I've got the ball rolling. I have added £20 to my Microsoft Account. Just 35 to go!


And, on that note we kickoff the 2019/2020 session of DGR.

See you guys in the next review


SpartanCommander1990 out!

Roll out Spartan Company!




No comments:

Post a Comment